My mom has become a sheet pan evangelist. After years of being an empty-nester and all but giving up on cooking, she has taken to this easy way of making dinner like a bird on new wings. My dad, who has had to learn how to fend for himself in the kitchen arena over the last few years, is nearly as happy about it as Mom is. A home cooked meal has returned to their house and it’s a win-win all around.
I’m not saying that my Mom hasn’t cooked or doesn’t cook, just that after several decades of feeding everyone 3 meals a day, she was pretty much over it. But when my kids with their voracious appetites started staying well past dinner time several nights per week she had to change her game plan. Even 11-year olds can get burned out on hamburgers and hot dogs.
Thanks to the internet, Mom has discovered the beauty of sheet pan dinners and I love that everyone’s dinner includes a lot more vegetables. The whole family loves stir fry, but it can be a little tricky to make in a wok or big skillet. So, I’ve turned a family favorite into an easy sheet pan dinner that everyone will love. This is a very customizable recipe, so feel free to swap the chicken for pork and the vegetables to the ones your family prefers. You could even replace the marinade with a bottle of your favorite pre-made Asian sauce.
What kind of sheet pan is the best for sheet pan dinners?
It’s actually called a half-sheet pan in the restaurant world. A full sheet pan wouldn’t fit in most ovens though. These are made from heavy duty aluminum and can go from freezer to oven and are nearly indestructible. They also offer much more even cooking than those weird flimsy, dark sheet pans that come with your cooking set.
Want more Sheet Pan dinners? Here are some of our favorites!
- Autumn Chicken & Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Garlic Butter Salmon
- Sheet Pan Paprika Chicken and Tomatoes
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe for later!
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into 1-inch strips
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears chopped
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- In a zip top bag, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and sesame oil. Add the sliced chicken to the bag and let the chicken marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all the vegetables to a sheet pan and toss with olive oil. Add the chicken with its marinade and toss everything together to coat.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies begin to soften. Serve with steamed rice.