This post contains affiliate links for products that I highly recommend.
The hard part of sticking to any diet (not just the Keto diet that I have been on for nearly 3 months now) is feeding the rest of your family who may not be joining your journey to a smaller pants size. Especially when kids are involved, working around everyone’s meal preferences can be a challenge. But what I have found is that many of the “classic” dishes can slide into just about any eating style. I guess that’s why they are “classic”.
This Easy Homemade Low Carb Beef Stroganoff Recipe is a dish that I have always loved and it’s a sure-fire winner anytime I make it for my family. You can use most any type of beef with stroganoff. I picked up a couple packages of pre-sliced top round to make this one, but you could use ribeye or sirloin if you had that around. Although I would stay away from flank or skirt steak since it gets tough the more it cooks. You could even substitute sliced pork or chicken if you wanted to change it up. The sauce would still be the same.
Traditional beef stroganoff is served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes, but it’s pretty good over zucchini noodles (zoodles) or mashed cauliflower if you are trying to watch your carb intake. This recipe makes quite a bit, but my family has always gone back for seconds on this one so don’t worry too much about leftovers.
More Low Carb/Keto Recipes!
Note – There is a little tiny bit of flour in this recipe. 2 Tablespoons worth, which breaks down to 2g carbs per serving. It’s optional to use it. It does make the sauce a little thicker, but it will work fine without it. You could use a different thickener like konjac powder, but I like to keep hard to find ingredients to a minimum on this website, and for me, 2 Tablespoons of flour isn’t enough to quibble over. But it may be a concern for you if you are super-strict keto or gluten free.
- 2 pounds thinly sliced top round beef or sirloin
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour (optional for low-carb. See note)
- 2 cups unsalted beef broth
- ½ Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- Hot buttered egg noodles or zoodles to serve
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add in 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper and add half of the beef to the skillet. Brown very quickly, not cooking all the way through. Remove the browned beef to a plate and repeat with the remaining oil and beef. Set browned beef aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the butter, onion, and mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions soften and mushrooms begin to brown. Sprinkle the flour in and stir. Cook for 1 minute then whisk in the beef broth making sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan (lots of flavor there!).
- Whisk in the mustard and sour cream, reduce the heat to LOW and let the mixture simmer for a few minutes (5-ish minutes) until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the beef and any juices back in and let simmer for another 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning and sprinkle with fresh dill.
- Serve over hot noodles.