Bacon Queso Stuffed Burgers are a deliciously different variation on a the classic American burger. Fresh and creamy queso fresco and salty bacon are at the center of an all-beef patty that is just waiting to ooze at first bite.
The all-American burger has really become part of the psyche of the country. Probably more American than apple pie and only slightly less American than the hot dog, the classic all-beef patty can be found on grills, griddles and cast iron skillets everywhere. No gathering of family and friends is complete without it.
I have always had a special place in my heart for the burger. As a small child, my all-time favorite meal was my dad’s cheeseburgers (it was even my nickname for a little while, until it was replaced by something less embarrassing like “George”). Thick and juicy and topped with that slice of preternaturally orange cheese, a couple pickles and a squidge of ketchup, the burger of my youth will always hold a very special place in my heart and on my paper plate. But as I have gotten older I have realized that the American burger can have just as much variety as the people who call this great nation home and I have opened myself to the cacophony of combinations out there.
You can go a lot of ways with meat on bread. I have seen everything from blue cheese and bacon to feta and tabbouleh on a burger. You can make a pizza burger, taco burger, or a slaw burger. You can top it with onions and lettuce, or a big wad of spicy kimchi. Really, the burger is just a vessel for delicious toppings. This Queso Bacon burger is a little different. The cheese and bacon are stored on the inside leaving even more real estate on top for a generous dollop of creamy guacamole. A slice of fresh tomato and maybe a couple pickled jalapenos and you are all set for a delicious variation on a theme.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 slices bacon , cooked and minced
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 avocados , pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup pico de gallo
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ lime
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapenos
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat your grill, or start your charcoal and set your grill up for direct grilling.
- Divide your ground chuck into 4 equal portions, then divide each of those in half. Pat each portion into a patty about ¼ -inch thick. In the center of 4 of the patties, place equal amounts of the cooked bacon and the queso fresco. Place the remaining patties on top and press them together and seal up the edges. Season both sides of each patty with seasoned salt. Place the burgers on the grill and cook 5-7 minutes on each side or until burgers are cooked all the way through. While you are waiting on the burgers, mix together the avocado and pico de gallo. Season with a little salt and ½ lime.
- To assemble the burgers, place a patty on a bottom bun, top with guacamole and sliced tomato, jalapenos, and top with top bun. Serve and enjoy!