Warm Barley Salad with Grilled Veggies is a hearty pantry clean out dish that is delicious for lunch or dinner side dish!
These days we all seem to be digging a little deeper in our pantry and I am no exception.
Long days at home and no good reason to leave have me going through all of those ingredients that I have bought in the past with good intentions, but never quite got around to doing anything with. Like this warm barley salad with grilled veggies. It’s been rolling around in my brain for a while.
So, when I came across the lonely sack of barley while doing an inventory I decided it was time. Who knows how long it’s been there. I couldn’t tell you the last time I made barley, but it’s pretty easy. A lot like rice really. It’s got a nice nutty flavor that goes well with vegetables. It’s different, and I was in the mood for something different. It’s also a great way to use up leftover grilled veggies if you happen to have any. Throw some grilled chicken with this dish and you have a complete meal!
This is a pretty customizable dish. Swap the veggies for pretty much anything you’ve got on hand. You can easily sub the goat cheese for Feta or just some grated Parmesan. Herbs too can be changed to whatever you’ve got on hand.
Any protein such as chicken, salmon or even leftover grilled flank steak will work really well in this dish. You could add in some chickpeas or even some grilled haloumi if you wanna bulk it up but stay vegetarian.
I’ve got a pretty sweet Lodge Cast Iron Grill pan that I’m pretty in love with, but any grill pan will do here. You can even throw these on a real grill if you are so inclined, or just saute in a skillet if you are not. It won’t hurt my feelings either way.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini in 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 4 oz button mushrooms stems removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 oz fresh goat cheese
- Boil water in a saucepan and stir in barley. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the barley is cooked through but still firm and slightly chewy.
- Meanwhile, brush the zucchini, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 pepper. Grill on a hot grill pan over medium heat until veggies are slightly softened.
- Remove from grill, chop vegetables, and put in a bowl along with the cooked barley
- In a small food processor, add together lemon juice, garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Add in the oil to make an emulsion.
- Pour in the dressing and mix well. Taste to see if you need to add more salt, pepper, olive oil or lemon juice to suit your taste. Add fresh goat cheese and serve!
Busy Working Mama says
Looks awesome! The first picture makes me want to make that, right now! Thanks for the recipe.
I hate laundry too. 60 pounds of it makes me cringe! Your salad however, looks fantastic. The veggies are so colorful!
60 pounds of laundry and I think I would go to drinking…. glad it wasn't you, sounds like a good supper….
I bought one of those grilling baskets to stop veg from slipping to an untimely demise under the grill. Best investment I ever made for my BBQ.