Does this ever happen to you? You are busy all day going from here to there picking up carpet cleaners and putting up with kids and suddenly it’s 5 o’clock and you don’t have a clue what to fix for dinner and you already had spaghetti this week and everything is frozen. Toddlers are now standing at the kitchen gate demanding outrageous things for dinner like Popsicles and birthday cake and all you can do is stare into the refrigerator waiting for something to jump out and call itself “dinner” while trying to ignore the fact that the kitchen is still dirty from lunch.
Well, for the sake of the blog post we will say that this is exactly how my day went today. This is the meal I through together quite successfully. It’s very Pasta Primavera meets Basil Pesto Chicken meets delicious. Hopefully this will help you out the next time dinner sneaks up on you.
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 box of rigatoni
- 1 squash and zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup minced basil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- 3 T butter + 1T olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Cook rigatoni according to directions, drain.
- While pasta is cooking melt butter and oil in saute pan, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add squash and zucchini to pan cook for 3-4 minutes or until it has softened up.
- Add chicken to the pan to reheat.
- Combine pasta and chicken mix in a large bowl.
- Add basil and cheese, toss to combine. Squeeze half of lemon on top and serve.
this looks awesome. Yes, I've been there with the kids. "Mom…I'm STARVING" . Congrats on a great meal invention! 🙂
That looks delicious! I'm going to have to try that one.
And yes… your scenario is all too familiar…
Katherine Aucoin says
This is a fantastic and fresh looking summer pasta.
sounds awesome and you get a bit of veggies in with your carbs!