Long before keto entered our life, we ate the ubiquitous boneless, skinless chicken breast a lot. Probably (if I’m honest) more than I ever wanted to. But being relatively cheap and quick to cook made a bigger difference many nights than whether or not it actually tasted delicious.
Since discovering keto over a year ago, slathering a bland and boring chicken breast with cheese and mayo has become something that I no longer only dream of! It’s practically a requirement at this stage. 🙂
Making Keto Chicken Breasts
I love this recipe (and also our Cheesy Bacon Keto Chicken recipe ) for really quick and easy weeknight dinners. Also, if you have kids in your family then they are guaranteed to love this recipe!
If you don’t have a tiny food processor (like this one) then get yourself one. It’ll make prep for this recipe super fast and you don’t have to drag out the big food processor.
Make Ahead and Freeze
You can also make this recipe ahead of time! Just follow the recipe all the way through until its ready to go in the oven. Then cover and refrigerate until ready to bake (no more than a day or two). This recipe also re-heats really well, so it’s great for lunch the next day.
If you are a meal prep, freezer cooking queen then make this recipe in an aluminum pan and skip the mozzarella cheese topping (add that before cooking). Wrap in plastic wrap and foil. It should keep for a couple of months in the freezer.
Thaw completely in the fridge before cooking
This recipe makes a lot of spinach artichoke spread and I did that because the size of your chicken breasts will vary. I’ve seen some monsters out there and I’d rather you have too much topping instead of not enough. That being said, you can do one of two things:
1) halve the ingredients for the spinach artichoke topping if your breasts aren’t giant mutant chicken breasts or you are only making two breasts OR
2) Make the whole recipe for the spread, put half in an oven safe dish, top with cheese and bake at 350, serve with pork rinds (or pita chips if you aren’t keto). Voila! Spinach artichoke dip!
- 4 large chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and excess water squeezed out
- 8 oz canned or frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella plus more to top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Slice the chicken breast horizontally so that each breast is two thinner cutlets (if you have very small breasts you can skip this part.) Place the chicken into the casserole dish in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large food processor, add the remaining ingredients and blend until everything is well combined and the spinach and artichokes are finely chopped but not pureed. Taste for seasoning and add salt or pepper as needed.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture onto the chicken and spread into a thick even layer on top of the chicken breasts (depending on the size of your chicken, you may have some cream cheese spread leftover. Simply put this in a smaller oven safe dish and now you have spinach artichoke dip!)
- Sprinkle additional Mozzarella over the top of the chicken and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Serve and enjoy!