The holidays bring out all of my stressors. I stress about money, getting all of the gifts finished, making sure the kids are at the appropriate party at the right time, squeezing in a trip or two to visit out-of-town family, and trying not to indulge so much that I have to totally swap over to wearing nothing but leggings and yoga pants before the end of the year. I run off of coffee and Christmas cookies and I feel like I am held together with tinsel and curling ribbon.
So, putting dinner on the table in these last couple of weeks before Christmas has become an after-thought. And while we haven’t quite started living off of cold cereal and day old pizza for dinner every night, my daughter might actually shoot me if we have chili on the menu one more time.
Therefore, this easy one pot meal is a life saver. It’s got everything you need in a fast weeknight dinner and will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. There are even a few vegetables in there to make you feel better about yourself. It’s a quick meal, too, which gives you plenty of time to wrap a few more gifts.
Easy Cheesy Sausage Skillet
Quick and easy, one pan family meal using turkey sausage, broccoli and cheesy pasta!
- 1 pkg turkey sausage sliced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-15 oz - can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 oz . frozen chopped broccoli
- 8 oz . short pasta
- ¼ cup half & half
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage to the pan and sauté for a few minutes until the sausage has browned. Add the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic to the pan and stir. Cook until the onion has softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broth to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the uncooked pasta and broccoli, bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir the dish a few times while the pasta is cooking to prevent it from sticking. Once the pasta is cooked through, remove from the heat and stir in the half & half and then sprinkle the cheese on top. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes while the cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!