This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is a crowd pleaser and even the pickiest eaters cannot resist the comforting aroma and satisfying taste of a good nourishing soup. This soup has a little extra creaminess added to make it extra delicious.
I think this year could be the year. We have been waiting for it for nearly 7 years now. It’s so exciting! It opens up so many doors for us!
THIS could be the year that my kids will willingly eat soup.
I know that it is probably abnormal for children to not like soup, but mine just haven’t. We could get away with potato soup and that was about it. All other soups had too many things touching. Other creamy soups were not their favorite color (but mom, I don’t like pumpkin soup. It’s orange!) And chili was a lost cause since half of my children don’t eat beans.
This year is different. My kids are buying into the healing properties of soup. I keep telling them it’s great for sore throats, perfect for cold feet, it makes you big, it makes you strong, it’s cheap!! And there is quite a bit of truth to all of that. Therefore, as the first sickness of the season ripped through our house this past week, my daughter (soup doubter extraordinaire) asked for chicken noodle soup. It was received with rave reviews and they even ate it again for lunch the next day.
So, I am hopeful that this is just the first of many soups for the season. Hooray for soup!
- 2 T butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 1 t . chicken base or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 qt . chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 t . dried basil
- 1 t . salt
- 1/2 t . pepper
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 2 cups milk divided
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot melt butter of medium high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add in potato, chicken base, chicken broth, and basil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potato and carrot are tender. Add in chicken, salt and pepper, and egg noodles. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until the noodles are tender.Stir in 1 cup of milk, bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl whisk together the remaining milk and flour and then slowly stir into the soup. Stir until soup thickens. Serve with crackers or crusty bread.