The weather has finally changed. The mornings are cool, almost cold and the days are pleasant and breezy. I spent most of the day outside with the kids yesterday and didn’t feel hot. Not even once. Ahhhhh….
Of course this is just a teaser. Temperatures will shoot back up to the 90’s before you know it, but autumn is just around the corner. I need to start dusting off the sweaters and light jackets. I’m so excited. Nothing hides fat rolls better than a good sweater.
So, last night, in celebration of the Autumn teaser, I made soup. I psyched the kids up for it. Got them all excited. You see, last year we didn’t eat much soup. A 2 year old’s spoon control leaves something to be desired and we had just gotten rid of the high chairs. We weren’t going to push our luck. But this year! This year we will eat soup! We will eat soup until we can eat no more!
So get your soup pot out and get ready for lots more soup posts in the future.
This is a simple, quick, easy and delicious hamburger and veggie soup. It takes no time to put together. When you brown the meat, try to keep the meat in chunks so it’s more like meatballs.
- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup frozen kernel corn
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 5 oz frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup chopped potato
- 1 medium chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 T fresh
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Over medium high heat, brown the beef, onion and pepper together in large pot. Drain fat.
- Return meat to pot and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve and enjoy!