This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
Being low-carb while the rest of your family isn’t can be…trying. It takes some fortitude to resist the pretty much constant temptation to eat all of the carby things. It also takes planning. As with any “diet”, failing to plan = setting yourself up for failure. That’s why I try my best to keep easy to eat things stocked in my fridge. Things like this Low Carb Spinach and Feta Greek Pie.
It’s not the only thing I have in my fridge; I also try to keep myself well supplied in deviled eggs, low carb quiche, and keto brownies. It’s being able to pull out something when I’m feeling snacky and eat it one-handed while doing other things. Or a super quick thing I can throw in a tupperware container and take for lunch. That’s what I really love about this greek pie. It’s an easy way to set myself up for success.
Fat Head Dough
Fat Head Dough – what is it? It’s basically a whole lot of cheese and a little bit of egg and almond flour ( I like this brand the best). It’s a god-send in the low-carb/keto world and I feel the closest thing to actual bread. It’s easy to find all of the ingredients and it’s not terribly difficult to make. Although it can be a little tricky.
Fat Head Dough can get pretty sticky, and since it’s mostly cheese it can ruin a pan that’s not properly prepped in no time. So, here’s the trick with the dough. First, you MUST line your pan with parchment paper. Then a little spray of cooking spray to encourage it to spread. Then, grease your fingertips (ok, your whole hand) and use that to press the dough into a circle. You can also grease another sheet of parchment paper, lay it on top of the dough and roll it out, but I’ve had mixed results with this. Sometimes it works great and others it becomes a ridiculous mess.
Once you master the fat head dough, the rest of this Low-carb Greek pie is a cinch. And it’s super yummy to boot. A little spinach, some leftover chicken ( which is really optional here) and healthy dose of feta cheese and you’ve got yourself a tasty lunch or light dinner to keep you full and on track in your low-carb life!
Other Low-carb/keto recipes:
- Keto Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Low Carb Bratwurst & Provolone Stuffed Zucchini
- 1 recipe Fat Head Dough
- 1 box frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 6 oz. freshly grated mozzarella
- 4 oz. crumbled feta
- 1 t. dry oregano
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream
Fat Head Dough:
- 1 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese cut into cubes
- 2 large Egg beaten
- 1/3 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Make the Fat Head Dough by microwaving the cream cheese and mozzarella together for 90 seconds or until the cream cheese and mozzarella are melted. Stir in the egg, almond flour, and garlic powder. Knead the dough until elastic and well blended and then spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet. The best way to do this is by greasing your hands and pressing out into a thin circle. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until the crust is cooked enough to pick up and flip over, but not browned.
- Squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Spread the spinach in the middle of the dough, leaving about an inch for a border.
- Sprinkle the garlic over the spinach. Then spread the chicken. Both cheeses are next. and then oregano, salt and pepper.
- Fold edges of crust around the filling so you create an edge. You may need to squeeze the folds together to keep the crust from unfolding. Beat eggs and cream together then pour evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.