It seems like so long ago now, but once upon a time I did a lot of catering. Not big giant events, but a lot of luncheons and meetings. Which was perfect for a one-woman show. And if you are going to cater then you have to have a chicken salad recipe. It’s pretty much obligatory.
My chicken salad was simple to make but oh-so-delicious. First I would roast bone-in chicken breasts in the oven then shred them while they were still warm. I preferred mixing my ingredients together while the chicken was still a little warm so that the flavors would marry even more.
Besides a classic chicken salad and a Greek chicken salad, I loved making this easy chicken salad with grapes. The little pops of sweetness were so refreshing especially in the spring and summer when the temperatures would start to rise.
How to make the perfect chicken salad
No matter the particular style of chicken salad you make there are two things that you should always do when making chicken salad to ensure that it is THE BEST it can be:
- Make sure that your ingredients are small enough to fit on a fork or spoon, but not so small that they are mush. I do this by putting my ingredients (even the chicken!) in a food processor and pulsing a few times.
- Salt & Pepper. No matter what, always add plenty of salt and pepper to your chicken salad. Taste and adjust your seasoning until the flavors really sing!
What to serve with Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is a simple, easy meal that goes great with lots of light accompaniments. Try these with your chicken salad:
- Boston lettuce leaves for chicken salad lettuce wraps
- with crackers and cruditè
- On sliced whole wheat or toasted sourdough bread
- On top of a bed of fresh arugula or spinach
- Inside a pita or rolled in lavash bread
- On large tortillas and sliced into “pinwheels”
More Chicken Salad Recipes
- Shred the cooked chicken breasts into small pieces into a large bowl.
- In a food processor, add the grapes, celery and green onions and pulse until they are about the size of a pea, but not pureed! Add the minced grapes and veggies to the chicken.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days before serving.