After nearly 3 years in our “new” house, we are finally getting around to actually doing some home improvement. A few weeks ago, my husband and I, with the help of a family friend who actually knows what they are doing, built a deck off the side of our house. It’s a good size deck coming in at about 200 square feet, enough for a table and a fire pit and visions of parties and get-togethers for years to come. And thank goodness our friend Leon was there to help build it, otherwise my city-born husband and I would not have had as good of an outcome as we did. I’m certain it wouldn’t have been even close to square or nearly as sturdy as it is now.
So, now that we have a place to actually entertain friends when they come over I have been thinking of all of the food that goes along with an outdoor get-together. The food should be easy to put together and have the ability to hang out on the deck for as long as we do. It’s got to be light but filling and all of those things call for my super easy black bean salad.
There’s not much in the world of side dishes easier than a can of beans. Black beans especially are so versatile. These are tossed in a lime and cumin vinaigrette and can be served alongside anything from tacos to chicken legs. This black bean salad is best served room temperature and can last for days in the fridge making it an easy potluck addition. Just try not to eat all of it before you get to the party.
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- Juice of 2 limes about 2 Tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon Ancho chili powder optional
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, place the red onion and lime juice in the bottom while you gather the remaining ingredients (a few minutes in a little acid will soften the red onion’s onionyness). Add in the cumin, coriander, chili powder and cilantro and stir to combine. Toss in the beans, olive oil and salt and toss to combine with the other ingredients. Taste for seasoning adding more salt, oil or lime juice if necessary. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply