I am so tired of the rain. The last 3 weeks have had more rainy days than sunny ones here in Middle Tennessee and just last week many of our creeks and streams broke their banks and flooded roads and fields. Rainy days do have up sides. My garden certainly appreciates the rain and being stuck inside means that I am forced to do some cleaning. Not to mention rainy days are my favorite napping days, but when I have things to do or places to go, I am not a fan of the rain. Especially when the creek behind my house starts creeping closer and closer to my back porch.
Rainy days are great cooking days too. The warmth coming off a fresh baked or roasted dish on a wet day is just comforting. This chicken dish is perfect for a wet and dreary Spring day. It is simple to put together, the flavors are fresh and light, but the roasted chicken legs are hardy and satisfying. Serve this up with a light salad and a baked potato or rice pilaf.
- 8 Chicken legs skin on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 T fresh or 2t. dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 large Vidalia Onion or Red onion thickly sliced
- 1 lemon thickly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400. In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Meanwhile, coat chicken legs with olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Place chicken legs in a single layer in the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes, flip. Add in onions, lemon juice and sliced lemons. Place skillet in the oven and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Use the pan juices as a gravy and serve!
Hello there! We have had tons of rain here too, so it’s been depressing on this end as well. Glad your house is still dry and standing. BTW, love the bright flavors in this dish. 🙂
I thought you might like the lemon. Hope the rain ends soon for you, too. 🙂
These drumsticks look like the perfect meal for any weather!!
Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy says
Mmmm, this looks easy and yummy!
Tywaskia Mitchell says
I made this for Sunday dinner today with corn muffin rolls and fresh steamed spinach