This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
Right now, in my mind, I am on vacation. I am not actually on vacation, I am somewhere towards the beginning of what will eventually turn into the busiest, most stressful, and exhausting month of my life.
The month of May has now been dubbed Hell Month.
Do you ever have one of those months? Where you just stare at your calendar in disbelief and wonder how all of this got so out of control?
I can’t complain too much. I will be busy making money, which is good. I have goals for crying out loud! And we are about to hit one of those goals this week! The hubby and I have been doing Dave Ramsey since about August, and although we fell off the wagon in December (poor planning on our part) and couldn’t hop back on until last month ( tornadoes and thefts will do that to you), we have managed to (nearly) complete Baby Step #3 of the Total Money Makeover! That is 3 months of salary worth of savings for those of you not familiar. WooHoo! Go us!
But anyway, back to vacation.
So, this month (I mean May) I will be running the crap out of my new catering business with no less than 3 special events, 4 weekly deliveries, 1 dessert buffet, and a couple of new on-site events that I am pretty excited about. Besides the catering, the winery’s new wine club is due for it’s second shipment and I cannot believe the astounding success we have had so far! As of today, I will be putting together nearly 60 shipments for our loyal customers! With the winery, there is also of course our Summer Events that are starting up; movie night, happy hour, Blues & Wine music series and a county wide tour called Hickman County Arts & Ag Tour that is now in it’s second year. And as if that wasn’t enough, one of the newspapers I write for has asked me to do 4 extra articles on top of the weekly column that I already write for them and that is all due by May 10th.
Oh! And our 9th wedding anniversary is May 29th (Happy Anniversary babe!).
I have never longed for a condo in Hot Springs, Arkansas so badly in all of my life. Thanks to my mother-in-law for allowing us to tag along all of these years. I have pretty much decided that vacation is less about where you go and all about who is there to help you watch the kids. Vacation is also about quick and easy dinners and, if you are close to the water, seafood.
Shrimp is a favorite of mine and I have totally been on this shrimp/fish taco kick lately. I can’t seem to get enough. So I whipped up this simple recipe and imagined that I was sitting on a balcony, overlooking the water with a cocktail in one hand and a shrimp taco in the other.
June can’t get here soon enough.
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 t . cumin
- ½ lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 T butter
- 12 corn tortillas
- avocado for serving
- Jalapeno slaw recipe follows
- ½ green or red cabbage cored and shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 2 T chopped green chilies
- ½ t . dry dill
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley
- 1 t . grated onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 t . cumin
- ½ t . cayenne
- 1 T fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ t . salt
- ½ t . pepper
- In a small bowl, combine shrimp, cumin, juice of lemon, and salt and toss to combine. Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the butter to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the shrimp to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the shrimp and pink and just cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Remove to a bowl to keep warm. Wipe the skillet clean, and warm each tortilla in the skillet according to package directions.
- For slaw: In a large bowl, place the shredded cabbage and set aside. In a blender, blend together the remaining ingredients. Pour half of the dressing over the cabbage and mix well. Add more if needed or set aside the remaining dressing for extra sauce. Refrigerate for up to one week.
- To serve, place a spoonful of slaw into each tortilla and top with 3-4 shrimp and a slice of avocado.