This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
Every now and then, I get a night completely kid free. The stars will align and both of our children find themselves a place other than our house to crash for the night. Usually at a friend’s house surrounded by junk food and video games.
When those rare occasions happen, I find myself in quite the predicament…what do I cook for dinner?
The answer is this quick and easy pantry pasta. Spicy Tomato and Tuna Pasta is a great recipe that is slung together with stuff typically languishing around the house: canned tuna, a few fresh tomatoes, a half a box of pasta, and the remnants of last week’s lasagna filling.
It’s perfect for nights where you want something fast and delicious without the dishes or a run to the grocery store.
Serve with a crusty baguette and a small salad and you’ve got yourself a wonderful weeknight feast.
Pantry Swap Outs
This meal is designed to be customizable, so feel free to add, subtract or swap out things that you’ve got in your house. Here’s a few ideas:
- swap tuna in water for tuna in oil (the one you bought by accident) or canned crab, shrimp or leftover chicken.
- fresh tomatoes can be swapped to canned tomatoes (drain them first)
- fresh basil can be swapped for practically anything you have on hand – thyme, tarragon, oregano, etc.
- Skip the ricotta and substitute copious amounts of Parmesan
- Any size or shape pasta
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes or 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 oz. can tuna in water drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 4 oz. angel hair pasta
- 2 Tablespoon lowfat ricotta
- salt and pepper
- Boil a large saucepan of salted water for the pasta. Cook according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add in onion and saute until softened.
- Add in garlic and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes start to release some of their juice. Add in tuna, basil and red pepper flakes. Turn heat to low and let simmer while pasta cooks. Add pasta directly from water to the pan. Toss everything to combine. Serve with a dollop of ricotta on top.