Impress your vegetarian and vegan friends with this healthy and filling grilled veggie sandwich!
Grilled Veggie Sandwiches are something I never thought I would catch myself eating when I was younger. Of course, I also subsisted on fried chicken sandwiches and cheeseburgers, so…what did I know?
These days, I actually crave veggies and I’m smart enough to understand that you can and should make a sandwich out of them.
This grilled veggie sandwich is easy to put together and can easily be made ahead. Make sure you put it on a rack when you pop it in the fridge so that the juices that come out don’t make your bottom slice of bread soggy.
What kind of bread for a veggie sandwich?
In this case, you’ll need something sturdy like ciabatta, a baguette, a crusty loaf of rye bread. Something that can hold up to the inevitable juiciness of grilled veggies.
Anything too soft and you’ll be left with a soggy mess.
What kind of veggies for a grilled veggie sandwich
I feel like portobello mushrooms and some kind of squash or zucchini is a must, but in general you’ll want a vegetable that grills well. So, veggies like eggplant, onions and bell peppers are all good choices.
This sandwich is pretty customizable. Change up your hummus or swap it our for an herbed cream cheese (if you aren’t vegan of course). Throw some of your favorite veggies on here or even …. a little meat. It’s going to be a delicious way to eat your veggies!
- 1 large crusty loaf of bread I used a rye loaf, but any sturdy bread will do
- ¾ cup hummus store bought or home-made
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into ¼ inch planks
- 2 zucchinis sliced into ¼ inch planks
- 1 large red onion sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Place the bread on a flat surface and cut lengthwise down the middle. Remove some of the insides of the bread leaving the outer crust in tact.
- Spread half of the hummus on the inside of the top and bottom slices of the bread. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan or large skillet and coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle the eggplant, zucchini, onion and mushroom slices with salt and pepper and place them on the hot grill pan (you may need to do this in batches). Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Set aside on a plate to cool while you finish grilling the remaining batches.
- Starting with the bottom slice of bread, layer the eggplant then the zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and then the onion. Place the top slice of bread on top of the sandwich and press down firmly.
- Place the whole sandwich on a rack lined baking sheet. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place a heavy weight on top of the sandwich in the fridge ( I use a 9×13 glass baking dish). Refrigerate for 2-4 hours, then slice and serve!