Green Chile Chicken Nachos are smoky and mild and covered in a creamy pepperjack cheddar cheese sauce!
Nachos are one of those meals that you don’t really think about until you are staring at a fridge with a bunch of random stuff in it that needs to be eaten. But we really should eat more nachos, because nachos are delicious and easy and everyone loves them.
Of course without the toppings, nachos are just chips and there are a couple basic things to keep in mind when building your ultimate tray of homemade nachos:
- 1 – Get your protein nice and hot before adding it to your chips.
- 2 – Have all of your hot and cold toppings ready before you slide your tray of chips in the oven.
- 3 – Make sure your chips (I’m a Santitas girl) are in an even layer so that every chip gets loaded with toppings.
Cheese Sauce for Your Nachos
So, a cheese sauce is easy to make and a great skill that will transfer into other culinary areas of your life. To make a cheese sauce you first must make a Bechamel sauce which is basically just a white sauce made with butter, flour and milk. TO this you add in your cheese. Shredding your own cheese will make for a much better melting experience, so put in a little elbow grease.
This combo of chicken with green chiles is perfect for those who aren’t into anything really spicy but still loves flavor! The cheese sauce is nice and smoky and the green chiles add a nice little tangy note to the nachos. Of course, who doesn’t love avocados? They give a nice creamy texture to each bite. A sprinkle of cilantro for freshness and you’ve got yourself a plate of delicious Green Chile Chicken Nachos that everyone will love!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 oz can diced green chiles drained
- 11 oz corn tortilla chips
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 lime cut in wedges
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk you might need more or less
- 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken, drizzle with olive oil and bake until juices run clear, about 15 minutes. Shred the chicken with a fork.
- Place a single layer of tortilla chips on a foil lined tray, top with chicken and green chiles and heat in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and top with cheese sauce, avocado and cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and stir until the sauce is thick and creamy. If the sauce is too thick, add more milk to thin it out. (You are looking for an egg nog consistency).Reduce the heat to low and stir in the salt, cumin and cheeses. Stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
Leave a Reply