This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
My blogging buddy, Heather over at Gourmet Meals for Less, has teamed up with her sister to do a series called Sister Saturdays. And this Saturday is all about soup. And I love soup. So I took the challenge to make a delicious soup worthy of Gourmet for Less.
Of course the one thing that goes with soup is a sandwich so I had to make a sandwich too! And of course everything is a million times better when you add bacon, so I figured i would through that in the pot, too.
I know, I’m a genius.
This is what I came up with a simple and delicious corn and potato chowder paired with a decadent bacon grilled cheese sandwich on my homemade bread.
It made me so happy. So very, very happy.
Now I can prop my feet up and rub my tummy. Mmmm…
Corn and Potato Chowder
4 cups of canned corn, liquid reserved ( or you can boil 6-8 ears of corn and reserve the liquid. cut kernels off the corn)
5 slices of bacon
1 onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
In a large pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, keep the fat in the pan.
Meanwhile, puree 1 can of corn with liquid in a blender until smooth.
Pour soup into bowls and top with chopped bacon.
Bacon Grilled Cheese
2 slices thick sliced bread
1 slice of cheddar
1 slice of pepper jack
3 slices of crispy bacon
1 T butter
Assemble sandwich and grill until golden on each side. Serve with soup![/print_this]
- 4 cups of canned corn liquid reserved ( or you can boil 6-8 ears of corn and reserve the liquid. cut kernels off the corn)
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices thick sliced bread
- 1 slice of cheddar
- 1 slice of pepper jack
- 3 slices of crispy bacon
- 1 T butter
- In a large pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, keep the fat in the pan.
- Meanwhile, puree 1 can of corn with liquid in a blender until smooth.
- Saute, onion, garlic, celery and a large pinch of salt in the bacon fat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Then add in the stock, corn and pureed corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble sandwich and grill until golden on each side. Serve with soup!