My blogging buddy, Heather over at Gourmet Meals for Less, has teamed up with her sister to do a series called Sister Saturdays. And this Saturday is all about soup. And I love soup. So I took the challenge to make a delicious soup worthy of Gourmet for Less.
Of course the one thing that goes with soup is a sandwich so I had to make a sandwich too! And of course everything is a million times better when you add bacon, so I figured i would through that in the pot, too.
I know, I’m a genius.
This is what I came up with a simple and delicious corn and potato chowder paired with a decadent bacon grilled cheese sandwich on my homemade bread.
It made me so happy. So very, very happy.
Now I can prop my feet up and rub my tummy. Mmmm…
Corn and Potato Chowder
4 cups of canned corn, liquid reserved ( or you can boil 6-8 ears of corn and reserve the liquid. cut kernels off the corn)
5 slices of bacon
1 onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
In a large pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, keep the fat in the pan.
Meanwhile, puree 1 can of corn with liquid in a blender until smooth.
Pour soup into bowls and top with chopped bacon.
Bacon Grilled Cheese
2 slices thick sliced bread
1 slice of cheddar
1 slice of pepper jack
3 slices of crispy bacon
1 T butter
Assemble sandwich and grill until golden on each side. Serve with soup!
- 4 cups of canned corn liquid reserved ( or you can boil 6-8 ears of corn and reserve the liquid. cut kernels off the corn)
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices thick sliced bread
- 1 slice of cheddar
- 1 slice of pepper jack
- 3 slices of crispy bacon
- 1 T butter
- In a large pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, keep the fat in the pan.
- Meanwhile, puree 1 can of corn with liquid in a blender until smooth.
- Saute, onion, garlic, celery and a large pinch of salt in the bacon fat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Then add in the stock, corn and pureed corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble sandwich and grill until golden on each side. Serve with soup!