The small catering business that I ran up until the beginning of this year seems like a million years ago now. All of those early mornings and long days and nights toiling away in the kitchen to get ready for some breakfast or lunch or dinner the next day were a lot of hard work. I prided myself on making anything that I could from scratch. I made my own bread, dressings, and sandwich spreads (and yes, I made this Chipotle Roast Beef Wrap). I did my best to be creative with my food but still be accessible to the general palette of my small town. I think the town appreciated it.
It’s been 6 months since I cooked a meal for the general public and I still get loyal patrons asking me to come out of retirement to make them their favorite meal. I can’t say that it isn’t flattering, it absolutely is, but I don’t miss hauling coolers, setting up tables or washing dishes for hours.
The next best thing for those loyal patrons is for me to give away my secrets. My Chipotle Roast Beef Wrap was one of my most popular dishes and there has been more than one person lately that has asked for it. The cream cheese spread is what makes it delicious and gives this wrap a smoky warmth. You only need one chipotle in adobo for this recipe, but there will be several in the can. Put the leftovers in an air-tight container and keep them in the back of your fridge for a few weeks or in your freezer for eternity (maybe not quite that long) and pull them out when you need them. The spread is delicious on sandwiches or even as an easy appetizer with crackers. If you can make it the night before you need it, it will be even better.
- 4 leaves large lettuce I like leaf lettuce or romaine
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Thinly sliced tomato
- Roast Beef
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 in chipotle adobo minced
- 1 t . Worcestershire sauce
- ½ t . garlic powder
- ½ t . onion powder
- ¼ t . pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all of the Chipotle Spread ingredients in a mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until well combined. Set aside or refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
- Lay out the flour tortillas flat on your work surface. Spread 2 tablespoons of the chipotle spread on one side of each tortilla in an even layer. Then layer on the lettuce, roast beef, cheese, onion and tomato in the middle of the tortilla making sure to leave about an inch on the edges of the wrap free. Fold the edge of the tortilla closest to you over the ingredients then pull it back snuggly to make sure that all of the ingredients are tight. Fold the right and left sides in and roll up the wrap , burrito style. You may want to put a little spread right on the very edge to help the wrap stay sealed. Slice down the middle and serve!
- Tip: If you are making this to pack, layer your ingredients in this order: Chipotle spread, roast beef, cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato. Wrap in wax paper. That way nothing will be soggy by lunchtime.