This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
Black and Blue Steak Salad is a hearty dinner salad full of savory steak and cool homemade blue cheese dressing perfect for light summer dinners.
Salads are…not always my favorite thing to eat, but now that summer is here and a strong urge to eat more vegetables with it, I find myself eating a lot more salad.
The tough part with any kind of dinner salad is that sometimes they aren’t very satisfying. There can be a whole lot of fluff but not much content to really keep you full for the rest of the night.
That’s why when I make a salad for dinner, I want it to be full of all of my favorite things to eat like cheese and creamy avocados, tangy tomatoes and lots and lots of meat.
Enter this Black and Blue Salad.
It’s no secret that blue cheese and steak are a match made in heaven. The strong flavors of the blue cheese complement the smoky steak. Top off this garden of goodness with my homemade blue cheese dressing and you’ve got a meal that will keep you full for hours.
What kind of steak for salad
When choosing your steak for this meal, try to pick something that has nice marbling but not big pockets of fat.
I used a flat iron steak for this Black and Blue Steak Salad, but a sirloin or New York Strip steak, flank steak, or even a top round (if you don’t cook it to death and slice it very thin) will work. These will slice up much easier.
And when you do slice your steak make sure to slice as thin as you can and go against the grain. This will make the steak as tender as possible and you will avoid the awful circumstance of chewing and never being able to swallow.
Oh, if you have leftover dressing it’ll keep in the fridge for about a week.
Try these other salad recipes!
- 1 pound steak NY strip steak, flat iron steak, flank steak, etc
- 2 Tablespoons steak seasoning
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 to matoes cut into wedges
- 2 avocados sliced
- ½ cup Blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup fried onions
- 3 T Half and Half
- 1-8 oz. container of Greek Yogurt
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 2 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat broiler to high setting. Season you steak on each side with the steak seasoning. Broil on each side for 4-6 minutes preside until you’ve reached your desired doneness ( I like my steak mediumish, so about 145 degrees.) Remove from the broiler and let rest while you prepare the salads and dressing.
- In 4 separate bowls, divide the romaine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, onions and blue cheese crumbles. Set aside.
- In a blender or small food processor, combine the dressing ingredients and pulse to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Thinly slice your steak on a bias and place on top of each salad. Top with dressing and extra cheese or fried onions if desired. Serve immediately.