I don’t know about where you live, but where I live it is stupid hot.
Not “so hot it makes you stupid” ( although it will do that), it’s more like temperatures are so incredibly high that it’s ridiculous. Or, as they say, stupid. I mean 112 degrees?! Really! Did I accidentally wake up in Death Valley?
Thank goodness I have an extra well just for the garden, because my poor plants would have died days ago. I have been watering around the clock for 10 days straight just so my plants won’t die. And let me tell you, they look pretty rough.
The lawn is a lost cause. It is just an ocean of brown and yellow. Even the weeds are dying. I’m scared to death that someone will throw a cigarette out the window of their car and light my yard on fire. Not to mention all the rednecks with fireworks that will be roaming around this week! If you need me on Wednesday, you’ll find me in the yard with a garden hose in hand giving the stink eye to every teenager that drives by.
Of course, the best way to beat the heat is to have a nice frozen treat ( or beverage for grown-ups!) to cool off. Since town is a sweltering 20 minutes away, bringing popsicles or ice cream home is really not a good idea. So, around here we make it. I cleaned out my fruit stash for this granita. I even used some frozen fruit I had stuck way in the back of the freezer. The result was pretty dang tasty and perfect for a scorching hot day. The kids loved it as a bowl of shaved ice and it turned itself into a pretty tasty margarita for me. Ahh…
- 1/2 a small seedless watermelon
- 1 cup capped strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 large ripe peach peeled and sliced
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 cup – ½ sugar more or less depending on your taste
- Puree all the ingredients in a food processor. Pour into a baking dish and place in the freezer. After an hour, stir the mixture with a fork, breaking up the frozen pieces. Repeat 2 or 3 more times. Before serving, scrape across the granita with a fork. It should look like shaved ice at this point. Dish out into your serving glasses and enjoy!