This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
A few months ago we were swimming in little puppies. A gift from a stray who wandered up to the house, the seven adorable spotted noses running around our carport pretty much consumed our life. Every morning we were greeted by tiny little canine barks and growls and little puppy paws chasing the laces of our shoes. Any walk outside became an obstacle course of puppy tails under your feet. The amount of cuteness in my yard at any given time was almost unbearable. It is amazing that we got anything done around here.
My daughter was the most attached. Being the bossy little girl that she is, she would spend all afternoon trying to convince the puppies that the princess palace she had built out of sticks and construction paper is the perfect place for them to play. The puppies weren’t buying it, but they loved all of the attention.
We were fortunate enough to find homes for all of the puppies without a trip to the Walmart parking lot. And as we enjoyed the last few days of puppy playtime we didn’t want to spend too much time on dinner. So these stuffed flatbreads with homemade dough were born, they are perfect for holding a puppy in one hand and eating dinner in the other.
Filling #1 :
- 1 apple peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 T sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- 24 slices pepperoni
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 c . diced ham
- 1 c . coleslaw mix
- ½ cup diced apple
- ½ t . caraway seeds
- ½ t . dill
- ¼ t . ground mustard
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- in Saute ingredients together until soft. Stir cheese. Set aside to cool.
- Mix dough ingredients together until a soft, sticky dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes on a floured board until smooth and elastic. Let rest, covered, for 15 minutes in an oiled bowl. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and stretch out to about a 6 inch round. Fill with your choice of filling, leaving a ½ border. Fold dough over the filling and seal edges. Fry in hot oil for 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.