This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
These Strawberry Basil Muffins with Whipped Strawberry Butter are a delicious morning treat for the start of a new week or a sunny weekend morning. The whipped butter can be kept for several days in the fridge and goes great on just about everything.
I do not pretend to be a tidy or organized person, but for the last 6 years I have struggled to understand how the state of cleanliness in my house is just a couple of degrees shy of a Hoarders episode. It didn’t used to be this way. The dirtiest thing in our pre-children home was the coffee table that would hold the remnants of our vices. But some time after the birth of my children…my house got really, really messy. Anyone with children will understand.
It’s like they don’t even have to move. Just their mere presence can cause books to fall off bookcases, neatly folded blankets to crumple themselves in the corner and every pillow within the four walls of the house will fall to the floor in surrender. The longer these tiny nuclear bombs are in the house the worse it gets. Crumbs and pieces of half-eaten food appear out of nowhere, shreds of construction paper freshly cut by blunt scissors flutter through the air like confetti, and the tidy little house that you started with is now this close to being condemned. At least that is what happens in my house.
Therefore Sunday is cleaning day and because it generally takes us (when I say “us” I mean me and the two kids I have to yell at) most of the day to put everything back where it goes and clean a week’s worth of residue off of all of the surfaces, I don’t cook much of a dinner. It is usually a sandwich and some carrots kind of dinner and a little prepping for the week ahead. So, these crazy delicious Strawberry Basil Muffins with Whipped Strawberry Butter are on the breakfast list for the week and I can only hope that this little bit of forethought will save me at least one load of dishes this week.
- 2 sticks butter or margarine softened
- 1 T honey
- ½ cup crushed strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and basil and set aside. In a medium bowl mix together milk, butter, egg and vanilla and pour into the dry mixture. Stir until just combined ( it will be lumpy) and then stir in the strawberries. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve with strawberry butter.
For Strawberry Butter
- In a stand mixer, whip the butter until light and airy. Add in the honey and strawberries and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl or jar, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.