As quick and easy as it is delicious and satisfying, Nana’s Cheesy Potato Casserole is your best bet for a simple weeknight side dish. Potatoes, cheese, butter and Cream of Chicken Soup combine to become a dish that is greater than the sum of its parts. These cheesy potatoes will impress adults and children alike. So take some to your next potluck, or just make them for your kids. Either way, people will love you for it.
I have a shirt I wear when I need a little boost of self confidence. It’s the color of the plate in the picture above, and I must look pretty good in this shirt, because every time I wear it, I get three or four random compliments. So when I’m in a bad mood, or feeling down, I put this shirt on and face my day, and after I get a few compliments I start to feel better about myself. I call it my low self esteem shirt, and it never lets me down.
This Cheesy Potato Casserole is just like that shirt. I have never fed these to someone that did not immediately give it rave reviews. You put this dish in front of a crowd and just stand back, count to ten, and the compliments will start coming. After one bite people will swear with conviction that these are the best potatoes they have ever had. Don’t take my word for it. Try it for yourself. What have you got to lose? It’s only got 5 ingredients if you don’t count salt and pepper, and all of them are pantry staples.
My mother would always make these with mild cheddar cheese, but once I was out of cheddar and substituted mozzarella instead, and I found that I liked it better, especially when paired with Godfather Meatloaf. (And I always make these with Godfather Meatloaf.) We ran out of parsley tonight, so Jodie chopped up some celery leaves as a garnish, and it really added a brightness to the dish that just put it over the top. Celery leaves are now an essential part of this dish for me, and have been included in the recipe.
So if you’re having a bad week and need an ego boost, make this simple and delicious Cheesy Potato Casserole, and bask in the glorious praise that erupts from the dinner table. And don’t forget to wear your favorite blue shirt. Just for good measure.
Try these other delicious potato recipes:
- 4-5 medium Russett Potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon each, Salt and Pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 10.75 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Mozzarella (or Mild Cheddar) Cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped Celery Leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in a 9" X 9" baking pan.
- Salt and pepper the potatoes.
- Add Cream of Chicken Soup and spread evenly over the potatoes.
- Cut the butter into pieces and dot over the top.
- Top with cheese and bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle celery leaves on top and serve by the heaping spoonful.