Italian Pressed Sandwiches are an easy way to make your lunch ahead of time. Whip up these savory sandwiches today and pack them in your lunchbox tomorrow! They make great party sandwiches and potluck finger foods too!
We have been preparing for moving day for a month now. For weeks we have been packing boxes, peeling bad wall paper, fixing pipes, replacing old electrical and finding out just how hard it is to hang new drywall. We have worked and slaved to get to this day and here it is. It’s 100 degrees outside with air so thick you could cut it with a knife. My poor husband has thrown out his back and we have run out of boxes. My own extremities are killing me and all of our aspirin has been put in a box… somewhere…hopefully with a label.
Moving day is never fun.
I did have a little bit of forethought on the lunch front. I needed something special to feed the handful of friends and family who have shown up to help us get from one house to another. If you want to know who really loves you, ask people to come help you move. It’s ridiculously hot, these people need something besides a bologna sandwich. Something that says, “Thank you for willingly coming over and making this miserable process faster and slightly less exhausting.”
Even if you aren’t moving this Italian Pressed Sandwich is a delicious sandwich to make for the week. It’s good for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- 1 large Italian loaf
- 3 T pesto store-bought or homemade
- Sliced ham
- Sliced salami
- Sliced fresh mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Jarred roasted red bell peppers
- Chopped olives I like Kalamatas
- 1 large tomato sliced
- Halve the bread lengthwise and remove the insides of the bread to make a trench on both halves. Spread each half with pesto then layer the bottom half with olives, peppers, tomato, cheese and meats. Place the top of the bread back on top of the sandwich. Place the bread in a baking dish and wrap with foil or plastic wrap. Weigh the sandwich down with another dish and heavy weights (I used the gallon of milk I had in the fridge) and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove from wrapping, slice and serve!