My husband and I just celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary. We celebrated by heading out to a restaurant we had never tried before (Lockeland Table in East Nashville) which is one of our favorite things to do. Dinner was amazing, but the highlight of the meal was this fabulous, rich, and completely decadent duck tostada. I’ve never heard my husband make so much noise while eating. They were really delicious.
The duck tostada got us talking about our honeymoon to Mexico (so many pounds and children ago) where we partied all night and ate eggs and refried beans every morning for breakfast. It was in Mexico that we discovered just how fantastic beans and avocado are as a breakfast food! I cannot recommend them enough.
So, after a night of celebrating our 11 successful years as a happily married couple, I whipped up some tostadas of my own. A blend of where we started and where we are today, I have topped a crunchy fried tortilla with refried beans, avocado, a fried egg and a little salsa. It will cure what ails you and it’s a great way to kick off another year of wedded bliss.
Check out these other satisfying, hangover-friendly breakfasts!
- Easy Breakfast Hash
- One Pan Bacon Cheddar Flip
- Muffin Tin Eggs Sardou with Quick Hollandaise
- Sausage Cheddar Apple Breakfast Casserole
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 oz can refried beans 15
- 2 avocados
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 T lemon juice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- 2 T butter
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup jarred salsa
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add 2 corn tortillas to the oil and fry until crisp, flipping once. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the other two tortillas.
- Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a saucepan or microwave, until hot. Halve the avocados and scoop out the insides into a small bowl. Mash in the lemon juice, a pinch of salt and red onion. Set aside.
- In a small non-stick skillet, melt ½ tablespoon butter. Fry one egg to you desired doneness, flipping halfway through. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- To assemble: Place one tortilla on a plate. Spread with a spoonful of refried beans, sprinkle with cheese and top with mashed avocado. Top the avocado with one fried egg and a spoonful of jarred salsa. Serve and enjoy!