For some reason, whenever I talk about kebabs I always seem to say it with…
This breakfast casserole has everything you need all in one dish; toast, sausage, eggs and apples. It’s a great weekend brunch dish and perfect for Christmas morning. Put together this casserole the day before and bake it the next morning for an even easier way to start your day.
Do not come to my house and expect to be able to watch anything on TV. The seemingly simple activity of watching a movie or a TV show with my family is about as successful as digging a hole with a rope. Both of my children are “interrupters”, my son especially. Any dialogue of a show (America’s Funniest Home Videos, for example) is completely drowned out by his senseless questions such as, “What just happened?!”, “What did they do?!”, “Mom! Did you see that? WHY IS THAT FUNNY!!”. It’s like sitting in on a bad episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (anyone remember that show?) Meanwhile, my daughter is twirling and prancing like Mikhail Baryshnikov in front of the TV, making it increasingly difficult to answer any pointless questions that my son is asking about the show. And my in-laws wonder why we don’t watch much TV.
Breakfast isn’t much better. Before the plate even hits the table the questions start, “What’s for breakfast?” “What’s that?”, “Do I have to eat all of it?”, “Are there any biscuits?”. So, you can imagine the barrage of questions that I got when I sat this Sausage Cheddar Apple Breakfast Casserole in front of them this morning. “Is this quiche?”, “Why is there pancake syrup?”, “Are there apples in this?”. After the first bites though, there was silence as they both ate without question or ballet moves … and it was glorious.
Make this casserole ahead of time (you can even freeze it for future use) and pull it out on any morning (like Christmas!) when you could use a moment or two of silence. It’s super easy and can even be made the day before and stashed in the fridge for the next morning. Just add about 10-15 minutes on your bake time if your are going from fridge to oven with this.
Sausage Cheddar Apple Breakfast Casserole
Easy and satisfying breakfast casserole with a touch of sweetness.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 4 cups cubed French bread
- 1 pound pork sausage cooked and crumbled
- 2 Gala apples peeled and cubed
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 3 T sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Salt and pepper
- Maple syrup for dipping optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside. Line the bottom of the dish with the bread cubes. Top the bread cubes with the crumbled sausage. Toss the apples with the cinnamon and sugar and scatter over the sausage. Top the apples with the cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt and pepper together. Pour the eggs over the casserole.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring gently with a fork halfway through, until the center is set. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup.