Zucchini Cheddar Hushpuppies are a quick an delicious Summer side dish perfect for barbeques and fish frys. Use up all that zucchini with these puppies!
Summer, for us, is just about over. My babies will have their very first day of kindergarten in 3 weeks! Almost all of the school supply shopping is finished. The new Tinkerbell and Cars backpacks are loaded down with crayons and glue sticks, the gym shoes are cleaned up, and the hunt for a reasonably priced nap mat is ongoing. ( Anyone have a link for a good one? Or maybe a pattern?)
And while I have been looking forward to the day my two monkeys head off to school for quite some time, I would be lying if I said I won’t miss them. They are such great kids and so smart. I really am concerned that they will be bored in school. For the teacher’s sake I hope they are not. My sweet baby girl is reading chapter books – all by herself. My son isn’t far behind in the reading department either. He can read most simple sentences that you put in front of him (especially regarding trains or Angry Birds). They are adding and subtracting, too! Am I bragging? Sure I am, but I am honestly a little worried, too.
What does this have to do with Zucchini Cheddar Hushpuppies? Nothing. Except that my kids really love these things. It’s a great way for me to use up some of the prolific zucchini from our garden, too. And a little cheddar cheese never hurt anyone. These things are delicious and go with any meal. We had them with steaks last night for my brother’s birthday ( Happy birthday bro!!) and we had them last week with some divine BBQ ribs. See? Versatile.
So, give these delicious puppies a try and sen up a little prayer that we come through our first year of school unscathed.
- 1 qt . vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups of white cornmeal mix
- 3 T self rising flour
- ¼ c . finely minced onion
- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash diced
- ½ c . shredded cheddar cheese
- In a deep fryer or heavy skillet heat 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees over medium heat.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl beat together the egg and milk, set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the cornmeal mix, flour, zucchini, cheese, and onion. Add the flour mix to the egg mixture and stir until well combined. Let it sit for a few minutes before frying.
- Using a melon baller or a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil a few at a time. Make sure not to crowd the pan. Fry for 3-5 minutes, turning halfway through, until dark golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Continue with the remaining batter.
- Makes about 20.
YUM these look amazing!
I made these this weekend and they were AWESOME! Be sure to visit me on Friday where I’m featuring you 🙂
Ang, Juggling Act Mama
Oh! Thank you!! I will swing by!
What is self rising flour? Can I use regular flour with some yeast? How much? Thank you
I’m going to try these puppies with almond meal and coconut flour. We will see.
Please let me know how they turn out!