Okay, so just because I’m dieting doesn’t mean that I can’t have sweets. Ok it does mean I can’t have sweets, but if I have learned anything about myself it’s that I cannot live without a cookie on occasion. If I go for too long without some kind of sweet treat my diet will end knee deep in a bowl of raw chocolate chip cookie dough.
So, instead of denying myself, I’m limiting myself and substituting something with some nutritional value instead. Novel idea, I know.
The original recipe came from this book here that I found at a yard sale.
I was actually really surprised how good these cookies were. They are moist and sweet and pair perfectly with a little glass of milk. They are only about 100 calories each, which makes it easy to squeeze one or two into the daily calorie intake. Make them and enjoy the fact that your butt did not just get bigger.
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. allspice
- Preheat oven to 375. Cream the sugar and shortening.
- Add the applesauce and egg.
- Mix together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, allspice in a separate bowl. Gradually add flour mix to wet ingredients.
- Stir in cranberries and coconut.
- Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Makes about 3 dozen.