Easy Rocky Road Candy is a quick, fun gift from the kitchen that can be made in a flash! Perfect to make with your kids and as a gift for teachers and friends!
I’m always astonished to find myself at the beginning of October thinking about the impending holiday season. It always sneaks up on me. You would think that after nearly 40 years on this Earth I wouldn’t be surprised when it’s all of the sudden its nearly Christmas.
Oh sure, someone out there has all of their shopping finished, presents wrapped and teacher gifts whittled out of toothpicks and exquisitely wrapped just waiting for the most wonderful time of the year.
I am not that person. Even though it’s currently, at writing, October I’m already behind.’
Fortunately, I have an arsenal of down and dirty, quick and easy, gifts from the kitchen that I can whip out at the drop of a hat. And although it’s not Christmas just yet, these Rocky Road Candies are the perfect thing for the onslaught of bake sales, cookie drives, Halloween parties and 4H fundraisers that are sure to come down the pipeline any day now.
How to Make Rocky Road Candy
This recipe is the EASIEST.
Melting the chocolate is the hardest thing. After that its stir and dollop. Making sure your baking sheet is lined with wax paper or one of these handy silicone baking mats is a must. Otherwise you’ll be scraping these candies off with a machete.
- Step 1 – Melt the chocolate and the Hershey’s syrup
- Step 2 – Stir in your ingredients
- Step 3 – Drop spoonfuls of the mix onto a lined baking sheet
- Step 4 – Chill.
Rocky Road with Nuts and Other Stuff
This recipe is so simple you can change up the ingredients as much or as little as you want. Some ideas for extra rocky road ingredients:
- Reese’s Pieces for a Halloween vibe
- Colored Marshmallows for Easter
- Red & Green M&M’s for Christmas
- Any kind of nut
- Dried Sweetened Cranberries
- Coat in white or dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet
Rocky Road in the Microwave
Now, this recipe calls for melting all of that chocolaty goodness in a saucepan, but you can totally do it in the microwave. Simply microwave the chocolate chips and the chocolate syrup in a microwave safe dish in short burst, stirring in between each one (30-60 second burts is usually plenty).
There you have it! Easy Peasy Rocky Road Candy. Have fun y’all!
- 2 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup
- 3 cups Mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped pretzels
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, melt the chocolate chips and the Hershey's chocolate syrup. Stir constantly until all of the chips are melted and mixture is smooth.Alternatively, place the chocolate chips and syrup in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave in 30 second intervals and stirring between each one until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Combine the marshmallows and pretzels in a large bowl and pour the chocolate mixture on top. Use a rubber spatula to mix all of the ingredients together until everything is coated in chocolate.
- Using a melon baller or large spoon, scoop 24 clusters of the rocky road mixture onto a wax paper lined (or a sil-pat like I have here)making sure the clusters don't touch. Place the pan in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until the candy is set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.