Easy to make and delicious to eat, this Bratwurst and Potato Soup is the perfect stick-to-your-ribs fall or winter meal.
What to do with bratwurst besides stick it in a bun and top it with peppers and onions, is a question that I have thought to myself on more than one occasion.
This bratwurst and potato soup is my new favorite. I recommend that you triple this recipe so that everyone will have enough for seconds and thirds. It is so so so so so so good.
Just the thought of it makes me happy. It will make you happy too.
How to Make Bratwurst and Potato Soup
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Saute onions and carrots and a little salt and pepper for a few minutes until soft and tender.
Add potatoes and broth to the pot. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Crockpot Bratwurst and Potato Soup
Can you make this recipe in a crockpot? Yes! It’s super easy.
- First, saute the carrots and onions in a skillet (if you haven’t cooked your brats yet, brown them up whole in this step).
- Next, add the sauteed veggies (whole brats that you have browned but not cooked through if needed), potatoes and broth to a crockpot or slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the sausage and slice it up and puree the potato soup with a stick blender.
- Stir in the cream and the sliced brats!
How to Puree Soup
For me, the easiest way to puree pretty much any soup is with a stick blender. I love not having to drag out the blender or food processor and also not to have to worry about the liquid expanding and then blowing up all over the kitchen (it can happen!).
I have gone through many a stick blender in the last 15 years and my favorite so far has been this Kitchenaid model. It’s got 3 speeds which is nice for control and it comes with a couple different attachments which can come in handy. If you want something super basic and cheap, the Hamilton Beach model works just fine, too.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces of cooked and sliced bratwurst
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Saute onions and carrots and a little salt and pepper for a few minutes until soft and tender.
- Add potatoes and broth to the pot.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are very tender. Puree the potatoes with a stick blender until the soup is nice and thick but still has a few chunks of potatoes.
- Add the sausage and the cream (or milk) to the pot. Cook over low heat for another 5 minutes until the sausage is heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!