This post may contain affiliate links. We may make a (very) small amount of money if you click on or purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the lights on, but rest assured we do not link to products that we do not personally use and recommend.
Super Cheap Chicken Vesuvio is a fun dish to make because when you add the wine into the pot it bubbles and steams furiously! If you can find frozen artichoke hearts use those, otherwise canned will work fine. But definitely opt for frozen lima beans here instead of canned (they get really mushy).
When it comes to pantry meals, I consider anything in my pantry or freezer fair game. And in both of those places, you can often find some kind of chicken cuts, potatoes and frozen veggies.
I give bonus points to any meal that only uses one pot, because dishes are the devil and my kids are terrible at loading the dishwasher.
This chicken vesuvio is a recipe I’ve been making for a long time and it can be customized pretty easily. Red potatoes work well here. Green beans instead of limas are okay. And the artichoke hearts are optional really since I can’t always find them in my freezer aisle.
It is a fun dish to make when you’ve got a friend over, because it looks like you are really cooking hard when you pour the wine in and the pot goes crazy for a minute. So definitely make this when you want to impress someone.
If you aren’t a dark meat eater, feel free to use bone-in, skin-on breasts. It might take a little longer to cook though so keep your thermometer handy.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken quarters seperated into thighs and legs with skin and bones
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cloves large garlic minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 10 oz. bag frozen artichokes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 oz frozen lima beans thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in large ovenproof pot over high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches if necessary, cook the chicken in the pot until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl. Carefully add the potatoes to the same pot and cook until they are golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. ( the pot will bubble violently)Add the artichokes, broth, oregano, and thyme. Return the chicken to the pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Arrange the potatoes around chicken. Add the lima beans to the sauce in the pot. Cover and simmer over high heat until the beans are hot, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Turn heat to low. Stir in the butter. Pour the sauce over chicken and potatoes, and serve.